Business Licenses

In response to the Santa Clara County's Shelter in Place Order, the City of Gilroy has closed City Hall for walk-in services until further notice. If you are applying for a new business license or renewal, please email us at for processing. 

If you are applying for a new "In City" business license, departmental approvals may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding.   

License Application Information

Commercial businesses located in Gilroy are required to complete a Business License Application Form and a Supplemental Business Information Form.

Home-based businesses located within the city limits of Gilroy are required to complete a Business License Application Form and a Home Occupation Permit.

Out-of-town businesses that are conducting business in Gilroy are required to complete 

The completed application can be emailed to or mailed to Attn: Business Licensing, City of Gilroy, 7351 Rosanna St, Gilroy, CA 95020. A member of the Finance department will contact you once the application review process is complete. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the license certificate to be mailed.

SB 205 Stormwater Discharge Compliance Form

A SB 205 Stormwater Discharge Compliance Form must accompany all new business license applications and business license renewals.

Search a Business License

Check out the City of Gilroy Business Licenses By Name (PDF) and City of Gilroy Business License List (Excel) for more information.

Food Based Businesses

All businesses that provide and/or prepare food shall also obtain a signature from a Health Inspector from the Santa Clara County Department of Environmental Health. Contact the DEH at 408-918-3400 for more information.

The following businesses are also required to obtain a signature from the Gilroy Police Department:
  • Card Rooms
  • Gambling Parlors
  • Dance Halls
  • Arcade Entertainment
  • Adult Books / Video
  • Gun / Ammunition Sales
  • Bars
  • Palm Reading / Psychic Counseling
  • Tattoo Parlors
  • Massage / Spa Services
  • Smoking Parlors
Contact the Police Administration at 408-846-0367.
BUSINESSES NOT LOCATED IN GILROY (such as contractors or other out of town services that come to the customer location in Gilroy).
Complete only the Application Form and email to or the application can also be sent in by mail. Please contact Licensing at 408-846-0420.

These require a Transient Business License and an Identity Permit. Please contact the business license office for more information at 408-846-0420. 

Other Business Licenses

  • Charitable organizations and financial institutions are not required to pay a license fee. However, these are required to complete the application form and obtain signatures in order to be certain that they are occupying a location that is zoned for the use, that their tenant space / building meets the Building and Fire Codes, and for other regulatory requirements that may apply to the organization.
  • Vending Machines and Delivery Vendors require a license, contact Licensing at 408-846-0420.
  • Garage Sales require a license, contact Licensing at 408-846-0420.
  • Home occupations are required to file a Home Occupation Permit Application form with the Gilroy Planning Division. The Home Occupation Permit is a 1-time filing. Please call Planning at 408-846-0440 for more information.
  • Any business location where alcoholic beverages are served at a bar requires a BAR permit.
  • Any business location where there is dancing to live music requires a DANCE HALL permit.
  • Apartments where there are 3 units or more to a property require a business license.
  • HOA's may be required to have a business license
  • No business or organization may conduct door-to-door solicitation or services without obtaining an identity permit and having one of the business licenses described above.