Permit & Inspection Services

One-Time Permits
These are for the construction, installation, modification (including repair) or removal (closure), of hazardous materials buildings, rooms, tanks or process equipment. These kinds of permits are issued upon submittal of a BLES (Building, Life and Environmental Safety permit application, submittal of plans and specifications, and payment of fees. A plan review and approval are required prior to permit issuance, and the facility owner and/or contractor shall sign the permit.

Hazardous Materials Storage Permit
An annual permit is required for the continued use or operation of a storage, handling, treatment or use facility. After the initial permit issuance, these types of permits can be automatically renewed by payment of fees, and submittal of updated owner/operator information. Permit conditions are attached to these permits and the conditions and compliance with the various laws and regulations is required to keep these valid. Permits can be revoked for failure to comply.

Application Process
The application consists of a Business Owner / Operator form and a Business Activities form (both 2-sided). Other forms are required depending on which activities are checked off on the Business Activities form. The Gilroy CUPA program will provide the correct forms. Annually there will be an invoice sent as well as blank application forms. These are to be completed to update our records. The Business Owner / Operator form includes a section for annual certification that the chemical inventory is the same, or if changes are attached (using blank forms).

The Chemical Control Program inspects all hazardous materials and CUPA facilities. These inspections may or may not be scheduled. Often they are so that the proper business representative can be present for the inspection.

Inspection Forms

There are several inspection forms used by the inspector to record the results of the inspection. We have provided sample forms of some of the most common ones:
In addition there are a different forms for underground storage tanks, and tiered permit facilities.

Inspection Protocols
Inspectors are to identify themselves and may come announced (by appointment) or unannounced. The Hazardous Materials Ordinance as well as the State Laws provide the authority for the inspector to carry out an inspection. The inspector will want to look at all portions of the facility and operations, including any washing, waste handling, and storage areas. Interior and exterior parts of the facility will be looked at including parking areas and garbage/dumpster storage areas.

Inspection Frequency
Inspections can be done on varying frequencies, but are done at least every year for Underground Storage Tank sites, and annually to semi annually (up to 2 years) for other hazardous materials facilities.

Inspectors may choose to sample waste streams, or may request a facility to sample its waste stream and send it to a laboratory for analysis.