Encroachment and Transportation Permits

Encroachment Permits

An approved City of Gilroy encroachment permit is required at least 10 working days before beginning any activity within the public right-of-way. The Encroachment Permit fee will be assessed upon review of the application and it's based on the construction costs and complexity of the review. Please refer to the Submittal Requirements prior to submittal. If an application is not signed or is missing a required document, it will be deemed as incomplete and it will be returned to the applicant for re-submittal.

Emergency Streetcuts

An encroachment permit is not required when an emergency streetcut is necessary by a utility company to repair essential infrastructure when the City offices are closed. Reparation of essential infrastructure can include replacing a broken or defective pipe, facility or conduit (lawfully on or under a public street), or excavating by a utility company needed for the preservation of life and property when an urgent necessity arises.

Any utility company making such streetcuts shall apply for an emergency encroachment permit on the next city business day. The issuance of such permit shall be at the sole discretion of the City Engineer.

If the emergency streetcut is performed during business hours, the permittee shall contact the Engineering Division in advance of the work at (408) 846-0223, or by email at permit.tech@cityofgilroy.org 

Streetcuts Moratorium

In order to maintain the integrity of the City road systems, the Public Works Department has developed and established the Streetcuts Moratorium requirements. Excavation in newly constructed roads on public right-of-way is prohibited within the moratorium period. Please see the Map below.

Street Closures

Any construction activities which will impede normal traffic flow requires an Encroachment Permit. Street closures can include both full and partial closure of any roadway (including alleys) in the City of Gilroy, for any length of time.

The permit applicant shall provide notification to all affected residents, business and/or agencies at least 72 hours prior to start of construction activities.

A site-specific Traffic Control Plan is required for all street closures and needs to be submitted with the permit application for review. This is a required submittal with the Encroachment Permit application. Street closures will be approved or rejected at the discretion of the department.

Transportation Permits

An approved City of Gilroy Transportation Permit is required for all vehicles traveling within city streets that exceeds the State's height, weight, and/or length standard limits.

  • Single Trip (one-way) permit fee is $16.00
  • Annual Permit fee is $90.00 
Complete Transportation Permit applications include a signed application, transporter's vehicle insurance, and proposed vehicle route.