Not sure if your project requires review by the planning division or the building division? 

Generally speaking, if the work being proposed is all interior (e.g., a new water heater, new electrical work, or an interior remodel), then you should contact the Building Division at 408-846-0451. And as long as your building isn't historic, you will generally go straight to the building division for minor exterior improvements like replacing your windows or your roof. 

If you are considering an addition to your home, constructing a new building, or adding an accessory structure to your yard (e.g., a pergola), you should contact the Planning Division to find out what rules apply to your particular property (e.g., how far from the property line your addition must be). For planning questions, you can email for fastest service, or alternatively call 408-846-0440. You are also welcome to come into City Hall during our normal business hours; Monday through Thursday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM 

The following links may also be helpful:

Building & Safety Division 

For Building Permit questions, call 408-846-0451

Business Licenses  

For Business License questions, email:

Engineering Division 

For Engineering questions, email:

Gilroy Online Permit System

Gilroy Online Permit (GO Permit) is the City's online permit system for residential, commercial, and industrial projects. GO Permit provides 24-hour online access to submit applications, seek permit approvals, schedule inspections, track the status of a project, and more. Go to for further information or to access the GO Permit Portal.

Planning Entitlements: Please see our Applications and Checklists page for more information. 

Building Permits: Please see the Building Division page for more information.


The Planning team is responsible for implementation of Gilroy’s General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, adopted specific plans and other associated ordinances. Our responsibilities include, but are not limited to: 

  • Responding to public inquiries related to land-use and property development regulations
  • Providing solution-oriented customer service to support economic development opportunities whenever possible
  • Reviewing land-use entitlement applications (e.g. tentative map, conditional use permit, annexation, general plan amendment, architectural & site review permits) for conformance with adopted policies and regulations
  • Administering the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) for environmental review related to planning and development proposals
  • Updating and maintaining the General Plan and Zoning Ordinance
  • Providing staff support for THE Planning Commission
  • Resolving land-use related violations through Code Enforcement