Housing Element Update
Click on the green banner above to sign-up for our interest list to be notified of future workshops and meetings.
WHAT IS A HOUSING ELEMENT?
The Housing Element is one of seven required chapters (“elements”) in the General Plan. The City's Housing Element outlines Gilroy’s goals, policies, and implementation programs for the preservation, conservation, improvement, and production of housing. The Housing Element also identifies the specific actions the City will take to address existing and future housing needs.
WHY ARE WE UPDATING THE HOUSING ELEMENT?
The State’s Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) requires cities to update their Housing Elements every eight years. The current Housing Element covers the period from January 2015 to January 2023. The next period is from 2023 to 2031. The update process is an opportunity to reflect on Gilroy's changing needs, resources, and conditions. An effective housing element provides the necessary conditions for developing and preserving an adequate supply of housing, including housing affordable to seniors, families, and workers. While the Housing Element must address specific state requirements, it is ultimately a local plan and should reflect the priority of the community. Community outreach and feedback will be a vital component of Gilroy's Housing Element update process.
WHAT WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE HOUSING ELEMENT?
A successful Housing Element will outline the strategies the City will take over the 2023 - 2031 planning period and include:
- An analysis of existing and projected housing needs and available resources to address the City’s housing needs. The Housing Element will address special-needs populations such as farmworkers, large families, female-headed households, seniors, and people with physical or developmental disabilities.
- A sites inventory of land suitable for housing development.
- An identification and analysis of governmental constraints to maintaining, improving, or developing housing for all income types and special needs populations. Examples of constraints include zoning and land use controls, fees, and permitting procedures.
- A program of policies and goals that include specific steps to achieving the goals. Examples include equal housing opportunities and strategies to preserve affordable units from conversion to market rate units.
WHEN ARE WE UPDATING THE HOUSING ELEMENT?
* The Housing Element update process has begun and will continue through November 2022 *
On Monday, October 18, 2021, the City Council will review the proposed scope of work for the Housing Element Update. Once approved, this website will be updated with more information. In the meantime, please read "What will be included in the Housing Element" in the column to the left for more information.
The first (virtual) Community Meeting was held on August 11th. The purpose of this meeting was to provide information on the update process. Attendees also joined a virtual breakout session to discuss housing in Gilroy.
Stay tuned for additional outreach opportunities.