Unhoused Resources & Efforts
Quality of Life Officers
The City of Gilroy has two Quality of Life Officers in the Police Department who are assigned to assist with connecting unhoused individuals with resources. They make site visits and connect unhoused individuals with service providers who conduct assessments, provide services, and link the unhoused to resources and programs offered by the County and nonprofit organizations.
For the most recent update presented to the City Council, see this video from the 1/23/23 city council meeting.
Community Plan to End Homelessness
The City of Gilroy adopted the Santa Clara County Community Plan to End Homelessness (2020-2025), which was developed collaboratively by representatives of community-based service organizations, local government, philanthropy, business, healthcare, and people with lived experience. For the next five years, this plan will guide the County, cities, nonprofits, and other community members as they make decisions about funding, programs, priorities, and needs.
The Santa Clara County Office of Supportive Housing offers additional information.
- Gilroy Shelter by HomeFirst is a 24/7 emergency shelter for adults, which has a mobile laundry. Call the Here4You hotline at 408-385-2400 between 9 am to 7 pm for a referral.
- Showers Twice A Week at The Salvation Army Gilroy, 200 Fifth Street, Gilroy
- Safe Parking for South County Residents for residents of Gilroy, Morgan Hill and San Martin, by the South County Compassion Center.
- Un-Housed Pop Up Marketplace in Gilroy by the South County Compassion Center is open 10 am to noon on Tuesdays at Burger King, 450 Leavesley Road and Thursdays at Las Animas Cul-de-sac (Electa Court).
- South County Compassion Center in Gilroy at 408-763-7120 or email@example.com. South County Compassion Center provides access to the services the unhoused need to survive, become stable, and lead self-sufficient lives.
- St. Joseph's Family Center in Gilroy call 408-842-6662 x21 for an appointment. St. Joseph's Family Center is a liaison to homeless services and is part of a County-wide Homeless Prevention program, has a food assistance pantry, bus passes, emergency rental and utility assistance, in addition to other supportive programs and services.
- The Salvation Army - Gilroy Corps at 408-848-5373 or Captain Daisy Gaytan: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Salvation Army in Gilroy provides needed services to the local community, including showers twice a week, fresh food distribution, and hot weekday meals at noon.
- PitStop Outreach at 408-843-6691 or PitStopOutreach@gmail.com. PitStop Outreach in Gilroy provides food, supplies, and sanitation to meet the basic needs of the unhoused during the evening to improve their safety, health, and well-being.
- Goodwill's WORKCONNECT Employment Resource Center at 408-842-9941 and located inside the Goodwill Retail Store at 845 First Street, Gilroy. WORKCONNECT offers employment services at no cost and is open to the public. WORKCONNECT prepares job seekers for today's workforce and connects them to employers who see their specific skills and attributes.
- HomeFirst Homelessness Prevention Services at 408-786-8538 or email@example.com. HomeFirst is a leading provider of interim and permanent housing services for those who are housing insecure or unhoused; provides prevention, outreach, shelter, interim and permanent housing programs for those who are housing insecure or unhoused in the Bay Area.
- Santa Clara County Homelessness Prevention System at 408-926-8885 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Sacred Heart Community Service. Sacred Heart Community Service provides essential services like food, clothing, housing and rent assistance, utility assistance, education, and employment assistance.
- Cold Weather Safety, including warming center locations, by the County of Santa Clara Office of Emergency Management.
- Pet Assistance and Support Program Funding by HCD for shelters: The intent of the funding is to allow homeless shelters to reduce barriers for those individuals experiencing homelessness with their pets.
Go to the Emergency Housing page of this website for agencies which provide emergency housing assistance. Information on this page includes the Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Crisis Hotline number, several shelters, and the Here4You Call Center, which coordinates emergency sheltering and temporary housing.
Unhoused Service Providers Network (USPN)
The goal of USPN is to increase collaboration and partnership among the service providers and the City of Gilroy to connect the unhoused with services. Meetings are held monthly.