Sidewalk Vending Ordinance

New Ordinance Regarding Sidewalk Vending

On August 21, 2023, the Gilroy City Council adopted a new ordinance that regulates sidewalk vending to help protect the peace, safety, health, and welfare of the community. Image of a sidewalk vendor selling fruit

All sidewalk vendors operating within the City of Gilroy are required to display a valid City of Gilroy Sidewalk Vending Permit Registration Sticker and a valid permit from the County of Santa Clara Department of Environmental Health. 

The ordinance is effective on September 20, 2023. Here is a copy of Ordinance 2023-08




Sidewalk Vending Permit ApplicationSidewalk Vending Permit Application [English]Solicitud De Permiso Para La Venta En Las Aceras [Spanish]
Informational FlyerInformational Flyer [English]Folleto Informativo [Spanish]
Sidewalk Vendor Submittal ChecklistSidewalk Vendor Submittal Checklist [English]Lista de Verificación Para La Venta En Las Aceras [Spanish]
Path to Sidewalk Vending Flow ChartPath to Sidewalk Vending Flow Chart [English]El Camino Hacia La Venta Ambulante En Las Aceras [Spanish]
Sample Site PlanSample Site Plan [English]Muestra De Venta De Sitio [Spanish]


A City of Gilroy Sidewalk Vending Permit is required. In addition to the City permit, the following permits are needed:



Contact Information

City of Gilroy Business LicenseCity of Gilroy Finance Department

Telephone – (408) 846-0420

Health PermitCounty of Santa Clara Department of Environmental Health, Consumer Protection Division

Telephone – (408) 918-1908

Sellers PermitCalifornia Department of Tax and Fee Administration

Telephone – 1-800-400-7115

Operational Requirements

  • Prominently display the valid City of Gilroy Sidewalk Vending Permit Registration Sticker and a valid permit from the County of Santa Clara Department of Environmental Health.
  • Vending devices shall be at least eighteen (18) inches in height. No display or selling wares on the ground.
  • No animals are allowed except for a service animal.
  • An accessible path must be maintained. No obstruction of the accessible path of travel for persons with disabilities, or the free flow or view of pedestrian or vehicular traffic is allowed.
  • Easy-ups, tents, or similar shade structures require approval.
  • No vending to occupants of motorized vehicles.
  • No use of generators.
  • No cooking methods that involve deep fat frying and wood-fired cooking devices.
  • Sidewalk vendors must provide a trash receptacle for customers.
  • Fats, grease, and oils must be properly disposed.
  • No use of sidewalks or public property as storage.
  • Vendors shall not connect to city-owned utilities such as but limited to electric boxes, water lines, and gas lines.

Restrictions on Placement of Stationary Vending Devices and Roaming Sidewalk Vendors:

  • Vendors shall maintain at least five feet or 50% of the overall width of the sidewalk or other pedestrian path, whichever is greater, open to pedestrians.
  • Vendors are not allowed on bike paths, streets, driveways, or in public parking lots.
  • Vendors may not operate within twenty-five (25) feet of an automatic teller machine (ATM).

In Addition, Stationary Sidewalk Vendors May Not Operate:

    • In any city park where there is a concessions agreement that exclusively permits the sale of food or merchandise by a concessionaire.
    • Within three hundred (300) feet of a permitted, certified farmers’ market or permitted special event during its operation.
    • Within four hundred (400) feet of a school between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on school days.
    • Within six hundred (600) feet of any entertainment establishment between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 2:30 a.m.

Sidewalk Vending Permit Application Checklist

At a minimum, the following items are needed to apply for a sidewalk vending permit:

  • Sidewalk vendor permit application 
  • Permit Application Fee 
  • A Statement of Operations 
  • Current City of Gilroy Business License 
  • Current Health Permit 
  • Current Sellers Permit 
  • Commercial general liability, automobile, and workers compensation insurance policies and endorsements  
  • Photos, dimensions, and a description of the vending device that will be used 
  • Site plan indicating vending location.


Please Call or Visit the City of Gilroy Community Development Department at - Gilroy City Hall, 7351 Rosanna Street, Gilroy, CA 95020; Phone – (408) 846-0451

Contact Us

  1. Community Development

    Monday - Thursday
    8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

    7351 Rosanna St.
    Gilroy, CA  95020

    Ph: 408-846-0451

    Sharon Goei
    Community Development Director
    Email Sharon Goei
    Staff Directory

    Call 408-846-0219 to make an appointment or sign into the virtual queue