- Business & Development Services
- Economic Development
- Downtown Gilroy
Discover Downtown Gilroy
Downtown Gilroy is the heart of our City. Its walkable character, historic charm, and eclectic mix of restaurants, shops, services, and entertainment make it popular with residents and visitors alike.
Downtown Gilroy is an ideal location for many businesses, with ample parking, easy transit access, and many residents living in close proximity. In the coming years, it is anticipated that the Downtown's existing train station will be expanded to accommodate a station for the future high-speed rail.
Downtown Gilroy Events
Downtown Gilroy regularly hosts a wide variety of fun, family-friendly events. Whether it's an Art & Wine Stroll in the spring, the Friday Night Music Series and Garlic City Car Show in the summer, or the Halloween Beer Crawl in the fall, there's always something going on in downtown Gilroy! For a taste of what's happening, check out the Visit Gilroy Event Calendar.
Parking in the Downtown
Parking in the downtown is simplified by the multiple public parking lots between 3rd and 7th Street.
Bring Your Business to Downtown Gilroy
Downtown Gilroy is home to a wide range of restaurants, entertainment venues, and specialty retail shops. Many locally-owned service businesses also abound in downtown, including art galleries, fitness studios, hair salons, medical offices, and more.
City staff work closely with downtown merchants and prospective business owners to help entrepreneurs open or expand their businesses. Here is some general information about doing business in downtown Gilroy:
- Development Review Group (DRG): The City's development services team (which includes Planning, Building, Public Works, Fire Prevention, Hazardous Materials, and Police) can review your conceptual proposal early in the process to let you know what is needed to get your business up and running.
- Expedited Permitting: Many downtown proposals are eligible for streamlined permitting, such as our Building Plan Check by-appointment services where building permits are often issued at the initial meeting.
- Available Properties: You can find a complete listing of downtown Gilroy properties that are available for sale or lease on the Gilroy Chamber of Commerce website.
- Sidewalk Cafés: Interested in opening a sidewalk café downtown? Updated regulations provide increased flexibility in where you can put tables or chairs in the public right of way. In addition to using sidewalk space directly in front of your business, you may be eligible to place tables in front of neighboring businesses and in up to two parking spaces in front of your business.
Please call 408-846-0451 if you have any questions about doing business in Downtown Gilroy. We are always happy to answer your questions and provide additional information and support.